Friday, January 22, 2010

Focus Challenge - Month 1 (2010)

On my first run-through of the 365 Days of Decluttering Challenge, I defined the 22nd of the month as a special “Anniversary Day” since everyone starts their challenges on different days.

Now that I've accepted another 365 Days of Decluttering Challenge, I was asked if I will again send out a gift on our Anniversary—what I call a Focus Challenge. I wasn't quite sure if I could think up new ways to challenge everyone but the ideas have been coming. The older Focus Challenges are still available and a new one will be posted on the 22nd of each month. Which ever you choose to do, the Focus Challenge will serve to remind us that, actually, we are not doing this all alone. Many other people are right there beside us doing the same thing, at the same time. Some are going through the same challenges, and some face others, but we are all united in one purpose!

You began a journey to do something, anything, towards evicting clutter from your life. That determination to make a change AND actually taking action on it is something that should be applauded all on its own. Starting is almost always the hardest part of doing something.

So, are you ready to rev up your engines, have some fun and work on this month’s Focus Challenge? OK, here we go……

~ Focus Challenge # 1 ~

Stand at the front door of your home and look into the room. This is the most important of all positions in your home. It's where you enter your home environment and where others have their first impression of your home (and you) as well. Your focus challenge is to look for your daily decluttering item in this room for the next 7 days.

Focus Challenge - Advanced Level

On each of the next 7 days, visit a different room of your home (in a clockwise motion from your front door) to look for your item of the day to declutter. On day 1 start on the first room you enter, on day 2 move to the room to the left of your entrance. Continue for all 7 days, circling the exterior facing rooms of your home. If you have less than 7 rooms, then proceed inward like the spiral pic above. If you run out of rooms (for instance, if you live in a 1 bedroom apartment and only had 4 rooms total, like I once did), here's your solution. Apply the spiral to all rooms first and then look for the remaining items in the largest room just the same way as described above, moving from the outside-in.

Top 5 Posts:
How I Define Clutter
Decluttering: A How-To
I'd Rather Stay Home From Work and De-junk
Decluttering Made Simple (27-17-7)
Ever Felt Afraid to Declutter?

5 comments:

  1. I have to do the Advanced Level this time. After I took down the Christmas tree, I completely rearranged the living room and cleared every bit of clutter. Each thing in this room is used, loved, wanted or needed.

    So, now it's time to do a little "around the house" decluttering. On the 22nd, it was an item from my daughter's room, yesterday it was from the hallway closet and today is my son's room. Lookout house, here I come. :-)

    By the way, if you're interested in how my 2010 challenge is going so far, here's an update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I just stumbled across this from someone else's blog. I have been doing a big decluttering effort, too (I am trying to get rid of 500 pounds)...so I have been enjoying reading back through your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog today (looks like I'm not the only new one!) and wanted to follow along! I was hoping to copy your button onto my blog but am not sure how to get the code. Is there an easy way to copy it, do you know? Thanks in advance! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @happygal Hi Molly, welcome! You do have a big decluttering effort going on. Congrats on everything you've cleared out to date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jenheadjen Welcome Jen! Congratulations on accepting your own 365 Days of Decluttering Challenge.

    Yes, a lot of new folks have accepted their own challenge lately (including me...going for year #2!) Although we all started at different times and are following different timelines, we are right there decluttering alongside you.

    Right click on the button image, choose "Save Image As" and save it to your computer. Upload it to your favorite hosting site...mine is Photobucket.com. Finally, paste the link to it (where it is hosted) in your blog.

    Decluttering physical objects can become a bit addicting, as well as decluttering the mental clutter that was with it. A journey starts with a single step. Congrats, again, on taking this journey with us and getting rid of unwanted, unneeded, unused and unloved items in your life!

    ~ Suzanne
    365 Days of Decluttering Challenge
    Taking Care Of You

    ReplyDelete

If you encounter difficulty leaving a comment, please send me an email. My address is available on my profile.